Use this image to link to us!

We Proudly Support:
Directory Opus - Swiss Army Knife File Manager

Read My Reviews

Why Usenet?

There is a huge world of files out there that you can access. Millions of free images, songs, and freeware. All you need are a few tools and a little knowledge.

Before I get started, I want to say a few things. First off, this is for NEWBIES. If you're looking for some newsgroup secret here, there isn't any. This is a basic primer to help newbies get started. This isn't the ONLY way to do things. This is just how I do things. There are TONS of different software packages, tons of pay newsgroup services, and many ways to get from point A to B.

Finally, while there are MILLIONS of legal things for you to get on Usenet - there are many things you can get that are either illegal, immoral, or both. I'm not responsible for what you find, download, etc. I am here to discuss LEGAL uses of Usenet.

What is Usenet?

Usenet (aka Newsgroups) can be best described as "public email". Imagine if there were 'groups' of public email (complete with attachments) neatly categorized by topic. Using a newsgroup program (sort of like your email program), you can access these groups, read the messages, and get the files attached to them.

There are over 100,000 active groups; ranging anywhere from music, to art, to software, to .. well, anything you can imagine.

Why not use the world wide web? The web was designed for the delivery of information. Usenet is now dedicated (mostly) to the delivery of files. Much of what now costs extra money on the web, is available free on Usenet.

How do I get on Usenet?

Newsgroups are handled just like an email server. You need a server to connect to and a piece of software (a client) to connect to it. You then just need some knowledge of what you're looking for, how to get it, and what to do with the files once you get them.

There are numerous programs out there that will connect you to a newsgroup server. For the purpose of this tutorial, I'll be discussing Newsleecher.

TECHNICALLY - a newsgroup program and a newsgroup server is all you need to get into newsgroups. But NOTHING is that simple on the internet is it?

We recommend Newshosting for your Usenet Needs

<<>>

Last Updated 10/30/2012
• What Why and How?
•  Picking a Feed
•  Working With Downloads
•  Recovering Missing Files
•  More About PAR Files
•  PARS and Codecs
•  The NZB Savior
•  Summary and Links
Millions of free images, songs, and freeware are available to you ...

We Recommend

Newshosting Usenet

Newzbin.com

Newsleecher